What is ESOF?
ESOF (EuroScience Open Forum) is the largest interdisciplinary science meeting in Europe. It is dedicated to scientific research and innovation and offers a unique framework for interaction and debate for scientists, innovators, policy makers, business people and the general public. Created in 2004 by EuroScience, this biennial European forum brings together over 4,000 researchers, educators, business actors, policy makers and journalists from all over the world to discuss breakthroughs in science. More than 40% of the participants are students and young researchers.
The 8th edition of ESOF will take place in Toulouse, France, from 9th till 14th July 2018.
ESOF key figures
- 4,000+ delegates from 80+ countries;
- 400+ journalists and science communicators;
- 150+ conferences, workshops and scientific sessions;
- 200+ events open to the general public, attended by more than 35,000 participants.
What to expect at ESOF?
Taking part in ESOF is a unique opportunity to:
- further knowledge on the challenges and breakthroughs in research, innovation and their relation to society;
- create links, exchange and debate with leaders of the scientific community worldwide in an interdisciplinary context;
- communicate the latest news on scientific research and innovation to an international audience;
- develop a network in view of building a research career.
ESOF 2018 in Toulouse
Following Stockholm in 2004, Munich in 2006, Barcelona in 2008, Turin in 2010, Dublin in 2012, Copenhagen in 2014 and Manchester in 2016, the city of Toulouse has been chosen to host for the first time in France this unique European event, which will take place from 9th to 14th July 2018.
Hosting of ESOF brings to Toulouse the designation of ‘European City of Science‘.
Welcome from ESOF 2018 champion
“It is a great privilege to host the 8th edition of ESOF in Toulouse. It will be a first for ESOF in France. The chosen motto: ”Sharing Science: towards new horizons” already sets the stage for this event. Toulouse is known for its aeronautics and space research but it has many more scientific facets to offer. Renowned for its warm welcoming and its ”art de vivre”, Toulouse has made accessing science to its citizens one of its main priorities. Toulouse is thus the perfect backdrop for ESOF, which is centred on interactions and dialogue between scientists, science policy makers, innovators and the general public. The Université Fédérale Toulouse Midi-Pyrénées with its 29 institutions of higher education and research and its 120,000 students, is proud to support this event in synergy with numerous private, public and institutional partners.
We look forward to welcoming everyone to the next ESOF in Toulouse.”
Dr Anne Cambon-Thomsen
ESOF 2018 Champion
Emeritus Research Director at CNRS, Université Fédérale Toulouse Midi-Pyrénées
The call for proposal of sessions for ESOF 2018 will be open from January to June 2017 and will be available at www.esof.eu. ESOF is largely open to international participation.