Introduction to Rammal Award
The Rammal medal bears the name of a Lebanese researcher, Rammal Rammal, (1951-1991) whose career was international and who devoted his life, not only to advancing science, but also to fostering good human relations through the pursuit and exchange of knowledge, especially in the Mediterranean region. Thus, the aim of the Rammal Jury in selecting the recipient of this award is to recognize not only research of the highest quality performed either by a scientist or by a group of scientists working in the region, but also a commitment to make science more accessible or bring its benefits to the population of Mediterranean countries. In principle, the medal is primarily destined for an individual scientist, but in certain cases, it may also be awarded to a team or an institution which has played a particularly important role. The Jury is very attentive to the ethical and moral dimensions of scientific work, and attaches much importance to the part science can play in relieving social and political tensions in or between countries of the Mediterranean area. Thus, the award is attributed not only for scientific merit, but also for positive actions in a broader social, international or educational context.
The winner of the Rammal Award will receive:
- A grant to attend ESOF2018 which will cover entrance fee, travel and accommodation expenses
- A medal which will be awarded at ESOF2018 in Toulouse
- Invitation to a VIP reception to pay tribute to the awardee at ESOF2018
- A two years’ free EuroScience membership
Active scientists from any disciplinary background, including exact sciences, medical sciences, social sciences and humanities, are eligible. Organisations in any field of science, meeting the criteria, are also eligible. Recommendations for possible candidates together with contact information should be sent via e-mail to office[at]euroscience.org by 30 June 2017. Please note that self-nominations are also accepted but need to be accompanied by recommendation letters.
Application procedure and documentation
If you wish to recommend a scientist:
- provide us with a recommendation letter (max 2 pages) and if possible a CV (max 2 pages) of the recommended scientist.
If you wish to recommend an organisation:
- provide us with a recommendation letter (max 2 pages) and a description (max 2 pages) of the history of the Institution and of all scientific activities which have contributed significantly to the Mediterranean area.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the EuroScience office at office[at]euroscience.org