The Université Fédérale de Toulouse Midi-Pyrénées (UFTMIP) collaborates with a sponsor in order to give the opportunity to open a call for Travel Grants to support 28 Young African researchers (or exceptionally research administrators) with their travel, registration and accommodation costs to attend ESOF 2018 in Toulouse (9-14 July 2018).
Please note that the grants will be confirmed after the financial agreement of the sponsor has been signed.
Please keep in mind that the grant would consist of a lump sum of €1,500 / grantee. Depending on travel arrangements, this amount might not cover the total costs incurred. The grant aims to cover:
- Travel costs to Toulouse
- Visa fees
- Registration fee to ESOF 2018
- Accommodation in Toulouse (students residence)
- Local transportation and meal costs
The administration (logistical arrangements and reimbursement) will be managed by the UFTMIP, in accordance with its official travel regulations:
- Travel costs, registration fees, accommodation and meal costs (in student residence) will be covered directly by UFTMIP;
- A public transportation card as necessary will be provided by the ESOF 2018 organisation;
- Visa fees and other eligible costs would be reimbursed after presentation of feedback report and upon submission of a detailed invoice (see point 5).
Please be aware of the following eligibility criteria. Applicants should be:
- A national of an African country
- Working preferably on the African continent
- Active in research (universities, research institutes, companies) or exceptionally research administration
- Preferably having a PhD
- Under the age of 35
- Proficient in English
To submit an application, please follow the link to: https://escmp.euroscience.org/.
Sign into the EuroScience Conference and Membership Platform to create your profile. Click on “Apply for a Grant” and click on ‘Travel Grants for African Young researchers’. Follow the application procedure.
Please be aware of the following documents which are required to upload:
- A filled out word questionnaire
- CV (maximum 2 pages A4)
- a letter of recommendation (max 1/2 page A4) from e.g. a dean, an employer or supervisor – to be uploaded as a supporting document
When submitting the application form for travel grants, you agree to the full acceptance of the rules and to the decision taken by the Selection Committee.
The deadline for applications for travel grants is Monday, the 7th May 2018, 12 am CEST (UTC+2 hours).
Selection and decision
The selection will be based on the completed questionnaire, the motivation letter and the recommendation letter.
A decision is taken by the Selection Committee appointed jointly by UFTMIP and EuroScience. The Jury will assess candidates according to the benefits they will derive from participating in ESOF, and take into account gender, geographical distribution, disciplinary diversity and a mix of early career and more established applicants.
All candidates will be informed by e-mail whether or not their application has been accepted during the 1st week of June 2018.
Obligations of grantees
- Grantees must confirm by email to email@example.com that they accept the travel grant within a week after notification.
- Once ESOF 2018 has ended, grantees must fill in a feedback report for which a format will be sent to them. The report will include basic questions about the assessment and development of ESOF2018. It should be submitted before 31st August 2018.
- Grantees can also be asked to do a photo/video report of their stay.
- All expenses covered must be in accordance with the travel guidelines issued by UFTMIP.
For any further information,
- concerning the application procedure, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- concerning the grants conditions, please contact email@example.com
Photo credit: CC-BY 2.0 by dirkb86