The European Science TV and New Media Festival 2013
The European Science TV and New Media Festival 2013 took place at the Science Gallery in Dublin from 14 to 16 June. The Festival was organized jointly by EuroPAWS and EuroScience, and lead into the Irish follow-up month reflecting the success of the ESOF2012 Science conference. There were eight awards categories and the screenings were complemented by panel led discussions and keynote talks on themes relating to Science and TV/AV media.
Entry Criteria and Background
There were four TV and New Media categories, with a prize in each, plus four further categories and prizes as described below, reflecting “Science in society” issues.
Science and Technology in:
- TV Documentaries
- TV Drama or Docu-drama
- TV General Programming (i.e. magazines, politics shows, natural world etc) – an item in context or a complete programme
- New Media Productions (including WEB, iPOD, Promotional Video etc)
In addition there were prizes for the following three “Science in Society” categories:
- The best presentation of science or technology in relation to an environmental issue
- The best presentation of a woman scientist or engineer, real or acted
- The best presentation of Medical Research (New)
- The best production as voted on by the festival theatre audience
An international jury of distinguished TV/AV people and scientists/engineers/science communicators decided upon the winners. The theatre audience had also the opportunity to vote for what it considered to be the best production.The winners will be announced at the Awards Evening at the Ciencia Viva Science Centre in Lisbon, Portugal on the 22nd November 2013.