EuroScience, The European Association for the Advancement of Science and Technology, is an independent non-profit organisation, with 2 600 individual members and 15 corporate members. Operations are coordinated through a dedicated executive office located in Strasbourg (France).
EuroScience’s mission is :
- to be Europe’s grassroots organisation for researchers and for all those interested in and committed to science, technology and innovation in Europe ;
- to bring together individuals and organisations from all scientific disciplines and all public and private sectors ;
- to promote scientific culture and dialogue, as well as mutual understanding between science, technology and innovation and society at large ;
- to enhance the contribution of science to the well-being and prosperity of mankind ;
- to engage with policymakers, businesses and society.
EuroScience is the founder and owner of ESOF, the EuroScience Open Forum, Europe’s largest multidisciplinary conference dedicated to scientific research and innovation, and which takes place biannually in a major European city. In addition to ESOF, the association also provides platforms to facilitate co-operation between stakeholders through meetings, publications, petitions, communications and other activities, including the web magazine EuroScientist.
EuroScience is seeking to recruit its
The Secretary General, named by the EuroScience Governing Board, shall :
- be responsible for the effectiveness and efficiency of all operational processes of the office, and find ways to improve these processes. This will include – but not be limited to – all financial elements, including supporting the Treasurer, developing and managing the budget, all audit and risk management processes, human resources, information technology, etc. ;
- collaborate with the President, Vice Presidents, Treasurer and elected members of the EuroScience Governing Board to develop and drive the association’s strategic agenda ;
- provide high-level support to the EuroScience Governing Board, working groups and task forces;
- ensure all office activity is aligned with the Board’s strategic agenda, whilst providing input for new topics, innovative approaches and fund-raising ;
- advise the Governing Board of good practice in organisational governance ;
- motivate and manage the current four-member EuroScience executive office to meet or surpass organisational goals ;
- respond quickly and pro-actively to solicitations from EuroScience members, sponsors and interested stakeholders, and develop dynamic communication, information exchange and dialogue, including through effective use of social media ;
- build and maintain effective interactions with other European organisations and policy makers in the field of science, technology and innovation, as well as with global science organisations.
Qualifications, experience and personal attributes :
The position of EuroScience Secretary General requires :
- experience in all operational aspects of running a small member-based organisation ;
- excellent managerial and interpersonal skills, including project and people management, team spirit, reliability, flexibility and development of professional relations ;
- commitment to the importance of science, technology and innovation for society, and to making science and scientific results useful to society ;
- excellent communication skills and proven experience in building trust, consensus and mutual dialogue in multicultural and multi-stakeholder environments ;
- ability to speak and write both in English and in French (other European languages desirable) ;
- university education, preferably at the Doctoral degree level ;
- knowledge of science, science policy and the European research and innovation environment, including universities, businesses, institutes, media and political structures (desirable).
The position of EuroScience Secretary General offers :
- the opportunity to work in a high-profile position in an organisation directly involved in the future of science, science policy and the role of science in society in Europe and the world ;
- a challenging, highly-skilled multicultural working environment ;
- strong external visibility and contact with numerous international institutions and stakeholders.
Employment and contract conditions :
- the candidate selected must be able to work in the framework of French law and be able to live in the vicinity of Strasbourg ;
- following a six-month trial period, the Secretary General will be named by the EuroScience Governing Board ;
- both part-time and full-time employment will be considered ;
- contract conditions, the compensation package and the level of remuneration are adaptable depending on experience.
Applications should contain a recent curriculum vitae (maximum 4 pages) and a letter of motivation (maximum 2 pages) describing all relevant experience and interest for the position.
For application submission (and any further information), please contact the President of the EuroScience Governing Board, Michael Matlosz : email@example.com
Please mention “EuroScience SG” in the subject of all electronic correspondence.
The deadline for reception of applications : 20 November 2018.
All applications will be dealt with in strictest confidence.