EuroScience Open Forum – ESOF is a European forum held every two years, dedicated to scientific research, innovation and outreach. It was designed by EuroScience as a unique opportunity in Europe to present and discuss the frontiers of scientific and technological advancement, the relationships between science and society, and the policies supporting research.
ESOF aims to
- foster dialogue on science, technology, innovation, policy and society
- offer a platform for cross-disciplinary interaction and exchange;
- present cutting-edge scientific and technological developments in all scientific areas, including natural and medical sciences, life sciences, physical sciences, social sciences and humanities;
- offer valuable opportunities for early-career researchers, including networking and career advice.
The next ESOF edition will take place in Leiden, the Netherlands from 13 to 16 July 2022.
Leiden, with its internationally renowned university and its prestigious heritage as the birthplace of academic freedom, is a particularly suitable venue for ESOF’s 10th edition.
The main conference theme for ESOF2022, “Crossing Borders, Engaged Science, Resilient Societies”, reflects that heritage
ESOF2022 will be a unique opportunity for leading scientists, young researchers, students, industry, policymakers, journalists and the public to discuss cutting-edge scientific results and their impact on society.
THE EVENT: Sustainable and Inclusive!
After the positive experience of ESOF2020, the ESOF2022 edition will be both onsite and online event to maximize inclusion and minimize climate impact. ESOF2022 will employ the most advanced virtual conference technology to welcome conference participants from around the world, whether physically or virtually, to the City of Leiden.
ESOF2022 will comprise a number of distinct programme tracks
- Main programme, composed of lectures, seminars, workshops, debates and poster presentations focuses on the latest advances in scientific research, scientific practice and related policy issues. It is structured around a series of keynote speakers and interactive sessions.
- Exhibition showcases the best in European scientific activity and research, whether academic or industrial, from both the public and private sectors.
- Public engagement programme, 365-day public science programme of the European City of Science.
- Wide variety of other meetings, satellite events and networking opportunities (involving, among others, science policy advisers and science media).
ESOF2022: Scientific Conference Themes
- A sustainable environment
- Cultural Identities and Societal Transformations
- Space for science
- Healthy Societies
- Freedom and Societal Responsibility of Science
- Back to Business: Action-Based Entrepreneurship and Education
- Off the beaten track: new paths for Academic Careers
A core question present throughout the ESOF2022 event will be: How will science be conducted in the future and how can science improve its role of being a transformative agent for societal change?
Early Career Researchers
We are organizing a number of exciting sessions and networking opportunities which will help students and Early Career Researchers enlarge both their knowledge and networks. The preliminary programme consists of workshops, panel discussions, debates and networking events such as receptions, meeting key scientists, Nobel Laureates or representatives of major funding organisation across Europe. The aim of this programme is to give the chance to the next generations of researchers, science communicators, science teachers and new policy makers to gain new experience, develop new skills and exchange with other delegates from other scientific fields. In accordance with the EuroScience spirit, special attention is put on the relationship between Science and Society.
How can you support young researcher’s participation to ESOF2022?
By bringing a group of early carer researchers!
EuroScience and the ESOF local organizers wish to encourage and promote the participation of groups of graduate and PhD candidates. The groups will reach Leiden ideally by a low emission and low-cost transportation (train, bus, minibus).
Selected participants will have access to all ESOF2022 programmes and to the specific sessions dedicated to Young Researchers.
This project is based on the successful ESOF2008 and 2010 Science Bus, 2014 Science Train, 2016 Science Plane and 2018 (mixture of international transports – trains, plain, regular coach lines) that brought to Barcelona 40, to Torino 35, to Copenhagen 40, Manchester 65 and to Toulouse 80 students. The group of early career researchers will be offered a reduced conference fee and the possibility to be hosted in low-cost accommodations in and nearby Leiden.
In general, students which have already obtained their Bachelor’s degree will benefit most from the opportunities this event represents. It is therefore recommended selecting students having already obtained their Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or are currently enrolled in a PhD programme. Postdocs have usually a regular income and are able to self-finance or co-finance such a trip.
If a large group is not possible, we also encourage small groups (2 and more persons) for which is easier to make a better use of regular coach/train lines.
For more information please contact Marie Suchanova at marie.suchanova(at)euroscience.org